Firstly, one should note that in the 18th century St Lawrence Church was divided into various Chapels. This part of the Church was known as La Chapelle du Sud-Ouest.
At the west end of this nave, there was a gallery over the west door, built in 1754. It was some eight feet above floor level, and approximately twenty-eight feet in length. The access to the gallery was from near the west door, with a stone staircase. We know from the records that at this date it was agreed to have an additional window, or the existing one made larger, so as to let in light for the new gallery. The choir was situated in this gallery with the clarinet players and the bassoonists, and they alone would have used the west door. The gallery, as far as is known, was demolished at the time of the great restoration, having possibly become unsafe – the organ was then sited in the Hamptonne Chapel.
The small window over the west door contains a few fragments of medieval glass (believed to be the only ones in the Island), rich and priceless remains of past glory, probably as valuable as all the Lalique glass in the Glass Church.
The stained glass window near the pulpit depicts Jesus welcoming several children of different nationalities. It was designed by Chapel Studios, London. The translation of the Latin inscription on the window is ‘The hope of the harvest is in the seed.’ It was donated by Mrs Joanna Maitland-Robinson, in memory of her husband, and it was dedicated on Sunday 28th July 1996.
The pulpit is of no great age, having been installed during the great restoration, it was donated by Mr Elias Collas. This pulpit was moved forward approximately twelve inches in 2003 during the restoration of this nave. This was specially done to give a better view of the little niche – now behind plate-glass – to reveal the Channel Islands’ oldest wall painting, believed to be of the early 13th century.
The lectern is also of the same period as the pulpit. It was the handiwork of Mr Harry Hems, the well-known ecclesiastical sculptor of Exeter. It is not certain who actually donated it to the Church. This eagle lectern is a fine study, both as regards modelling and detail of the carving, and the whole is, without doubt, one of, if not the handsomest,, lecterns in the Island.
The priests chairs are worthy of close examination, having also been especially carved by Mr Harry Hems. The backs are ornamented with carved diamonds, in which occur quatrefoil panels with carved shields. One chair has the letters S.L. carved on a money bag, and the other has the gridiron on a money bag. These are the most generally recognised emblems of the Patron Saint,
In 1963 the old electrical wiring of the Church was stripped out. It was then re-wired with new lighting and heating. During this period the last of the old paraffin lamps and standards were all removed, these lamps having been last used during the German occupation. However, during the restoration of this nave in 2003, the Church Officers decided to re-install the lamp-standards with a new type of light fitting, thus adding character to the nave. One of the original paraffin lamps is on display in the Church, on a shortened lamp-standard.
Whilst in the south transept, one should note that most of the church pews went with certain properties and their families. They were bought and sold accordingly and the revenue from these pews was most useful for church funds. At times, the allocation of the pews caused a great deal of controversy and upheaval as one finds in the record books on Bancs (pews) which give details on their allocation. On examination of the end of the pew book ledge, one can still see the brass holders in which the names of the owners were inserted.
Under the Tower
In the 18th century, this part of the Church was known as Le Coeur du Temple, the heart of the Church. Here one would have found a pulpit and a large prayer desk, and the long Communion table was placed here four times a year when Communion was taken. It is also said that all the floors from various parts of the Church were banked to slope gradually to this section.
Perhaps the most important thing that one should observe here is the mounted Celtic Pillar. Very few relics remain of the Church’s earliest days. The oldest is a broken granite pillar dating from the 4th century AD. This pillar would appear to have been used on three successive occasions. It was originally a pillar belonging to a Roman building. Then around the 6th century, the flat top of the pillar was used for an early Christian memorial. Finally, around the 8th or 9th century, one side was carved with an interlace of the pre-Romanesque character ‘strap carving’. Its dimensions are: height 101 centimetres; circumference 92 centimetres; greatest diameter 92 centimetres. The inscription is believed to be:-
Although several experts have studied this inscription, none has actually agreed on the final lettering and interpretation. The pillar was found some eight feet below the nave during the restoration of the Church in 1890-1892, when the north pillar of the west arch was being strengthened at the foundations. The pillar was mounted in a frame in memory of Mr FP Romeril, by his wife. A replica of this pillar was cast some years ago to display in the Jersey Museum, as this is the earliest piece of church architecture in the Island.
This south transept was originally used as a chantry chapel, where masses were recited for the departed. The deep arched recess in the east wall is said to have held the tabernacle in which the Blessed Sacrament was reserved.
In the early 18th century this transept was known as La Chapelle du Sud and, as far as is known, there were six pews in this area, which would have surely faced north. The glass in the south window is 20th century, and was donated to the Church by Mrs W Prior. This window is in two parts. At the top of the window is the Coat of Arms of Winchester. The Coats of Arms of Coutance and Salisbury are depicted at the bottom of the window.
The Bishop of Coutance in Normandy, France, was actually in charge of the Channel Islands churches, because the Channel Islands were governed by the laws of Normandy. The Salisbury Coat of Arms appears because firstly after our transfer from the Diocese of Coutance, we were annexed to that of Salisbury for some years. However, an Order in Council made in England in 1568/9, finally severed all links with Coutance and Salisbury, and we were then transferred into the Diocese of Winchester, therefore the Arms of Winchester are at the top of the window. One part of the window represents St Swithin, feast day July 15th. He was Bishop of Winchester in the year 838. On looking at the window closely, one can see it depicts raindrops - because of tradition St Swithin is associated as we all know with rain.
The second part of the window depicts St Anthony of Padua, feast day June 13th. He is chiefly thought of for the return of lost property, also patron saint of the poor. He is usually depicted with a book or lily, symbolising his knowledge of Scripture. Occasionally he is also depicted with an ass, which is supposed to have knelt before the Blessed Sacrament upheld by St Anthony.
On the right-hand side of the south door is a plaque recording the date of the re-dedication of the Sundial – Sunday 17th January 1979.
This south transept has now sympathetically been converted into a Vestry, the door panels of which contain a stained glass rose design commissioned from local artists, Sasha Bellamy and Pippa Simpson. This, together with cupboards and shelving for the West Wall, being made possible by the generous bequest left to the Church by the late Mrs Ivy Rose Le Riche who was a devoted member of the Church.
In 1727 a Parish Assembly passed an act to build a gallery at the east end of the chancel, in front of the east window. This gallery was built by Jean Le Hardy, Gent, at his own expense, and he was to be responsible for disposing of the seating. The access to this gallery from the outside was made through part of the east window for simplicity. The gallery was to be six feet long and six feet six inches in height from the floor level to the bottom of the beams. However, twenty-seven years later, in 1754, this gallery had modifications carried out by Philippe Lempriere Esq, and permission was sought to make a proper access through the east wall, on the north side of the window. If one looks at the exterior stonework, the lintel that was above the door can still be seen. It was at this period that we had the Colombier, Patrimoine, Avranche and Highlands pews. However, the gallery was demolished in 1804, having become unsafe.
It is understood that this east window actually attained its present shape and size during the erection of the Hamptonne Chapel. We can, therefore, presume that prior to this period this window was much smaller.
On the 9th September 1891, a decision was taken to install a stained glass window in the east window of the chancel. However, it would appear that the window was not actually installed until 1901. Furthermore, we know that this stained glass window was not in place for the Church’s re-dedication after the great restoration. This is a window of four lights. It depicts The Last Supper and was designed by the well-known Jersey stained glass artist, HT Bosdet. One can see his signature in the right-hand corner of the window. It is said to be one of Bosdet’s finest works, in colour, balance and composition. On looking at this window closely, one will note Judas, who betrayed the Lord in the left-hand light. Look at his halo and you will observe that it never shines as brightly as the others as the light penetrates through it.
Also, look at the dish of fruit on the table and note a mistake that Bosdet made in designing this window. There is a pineapple in the dish of fruit. The pineapple was, in fact, an unknown fruit at the time of Jesus Christ. The original cartoon for this window are preserved in the Jersey Museum.
The three two-light windows on the south side of the chancel relate to us the story of St Lawrence and it is, therefore, fairly safe to assume that these windows were all designed by the same stained glass artist.
Window one, closest to the altar, is to the greater Glory of God, as a memorial of the St Lawrence Battalion, with a date of 1877. We can be certain that it was not installed in 1877, as the sketch of RW Poore, March 1887, still depicts the windows of the old style. We know that the great restoration of the Church was from September 1889 to May 1892 and that the St Lawrence Militia Colours were laid up at this date. Therefore, it would have been fitting for the Regiment to have the window installed for this occasion. One can still see the holders for the flags on each side of the window.
Window two is in memory of James Le Couteur, who died in November 1888. One knows from records that when the Church was re-opened in 1892 this window was in plain white glass. It is, therefore, fairly certain to assume that it was installed at the same time as the east window in 1901.
Window three was erected in memory of Philip Langlois and his niece Marie Langlois. The brass plate below the window has a date of 1892. On checking the records one knows that Henry Nicolle Godfray died in 1920, and Jane Langlois died in 1923. This would indicate that it was installed for the re-dedication of the Church in 1892, and we know for a fact that there were only two stained glass windows in this chancel in 1892.
It was always assumed that these three windows were designed by Bosdet. However, Aiden Smith in his book ‘The Glass Rainbow’ on Bosdet windows makes no mention of them. Nevertheless, one should mention that Bosdet often signed his windows in a border along the base. Consequently, it could be that the signature is entirely concealed within the glazing groove by cement. One is, therefore, now left with a mystery as to who actually designed the windows if they are not Bosdet’s work.
The six scenes from the south windows:-
St Lawrence ordained by Sixtus
St Sixtus Prophesying the entrance of St Lawrence into Heaven
St Lawrence washes the feet of Christians
St Lawrence raises a widow to life
St Lawrence baptises the gaoler
The Martyrdom of St Lawrence
The Piscina to the right-hand side of the altar in the chancel was installed at the time of the re-plastering of the Church in 1973. The original piscina is said to have been removed during the Reformation and was salvaged by some-one. The book ‘Old Jersey Houses Vol. II’ states that the piscina is possibly the one to be found in the first floor passageway at Oaklands Farm, just a few hundred yards to the north of the Church. The present piscina was erected in memory of the late Rev. FA Turner, Rector of St Lawrence 1963-1972. It was dedicated on the 22nd September 1974 by the Rt Rev KEN Lamplugh (formerly Bishop of Southampton). The lintel stone that forms the head of the piscina was found in the Rectory garden by Rev. Turner, whilst moving a mound of rubble to make a garden pool. One can be fairly certain that it had originally been removed from some part of the Church. It was originally thought that this stone depicted the gridiron carvings of the martyrdom of St Lawrence. However, later investigation appears to reveal the inscription PY-LHP.
This chapel was built by Rector Hamptonne and completed in 1524. He was Rector from 1502 to 1558. It was possibly built as a memorial to a member of his family. However between 1524-1560 it was used exclusively by the Hamptonne family, and in 1560 it was opened to the general public. A stone altar was found buried in the floor beneath the east window during the great restoration and, no doubt, cut up and used elsewhere in the stonework of the Church.
On the right hand side of the altar the original piscina managed to survive the Reformation, having been filled up and plastered over, it would appear that it was almost knocked out. Note the damage on the right hand corner of the base.
As one looks up at the roof of the chapel, note that it has a groined roof, the only example in the Island. Note too the moulded ribs springing from carved corbels and terminating in bosses, bearing the arms and crest of the Hamptonne family. After the great restoration the pipe organ and blower was situated in this chapel.
In 1948, due to the efforts of the late Rev. Charles du Heaume, the chapel was cleaned and tidied up and re-dedicated as the Lady Chapel on the 3rd November 1948. Then again in 1963, during the late Rev. Turner’s term of office, the Hamptonne Chapel was refurbished with bequests of parishioners. The chairs were donated by various parishioners and friends in memory of loved ones who had worshipped in the Church. A list of donors can be seen in the Chapel. The lectern was donated by Mr and Mrs BJ Pipon in memory of their daughter Linda.
The stained glass window was erected through the generosity of Mrs W Prior and family – ‘ Peace Be Still’. It was designed by Francis Skeat in 1966 and depicts the stilling of the storm on Lake Galilee. It was specially chosen by the Prior family as a fitting memorial to Commander Redvers Prior, who was a true naval man.
In this transept we have on the north-west side the doorway to the spiral stone staircase leading to the tower. As one looks at the stone ceiling, one sees a large circular access with a wooden cover. This was, no doubt, constructed to enable access to the loft over the Hamptonne Chapel, also the loft space over the north nave. It would have been very difficult to transport any heavy material up the narrow stairway, so the heavier equipment could be hoisted up on a rope through the circular access. The principal reason for the building of the north nave was to accommodate the Militia equipment. Do note the comic faces on the corbels, these reminding us of the days when humour was the ally of religion.
One of the interesting discoveries that was made during the re-plastering of the Church in 1973-74 was the ‘ouverture’ in the right side of the arch leading to the Hamptonne Chapel. It has been suggested that this could be a leper’s squint and, if so, this is the only known example in the Island. A leper’s squint was an opening from inside of the church to the outside, where the priest would place the bread and wine for unclean persons, so that they could not come into contact with the congregation taking Communion.
In the south-west corner we have the Treasury, which contains those items of the Church’s silver that are not in regular use. St Lawrence has the second oldest chalice in the Island; it has a London Hallmark of 1598. In the Treasury is also a set of pewter vessels, formerly used at Communion.
It is said that a larger window than the present one existed. It is possible that it attained its present size in the early 18th century, for it is known that over the north door going towards the Hamptonne Chapel there was a small gallery with only one pew in 1786, this pew belonging to Jean Mallet and his family.
The present stained glass window was erected by the generosity of Mrs W Prior and family, and was also designed by Francis Skeat (see the plaque below the window). This window is in two parts, the part closest to the Hamptonne Chapel depicts ‘St Mary the Blessed Virgin, Mother of our Lord’. It was designed in this way because a Lady Chapel is usually dedicated to the Blessed Virgin, Our Lady. The other part, nearest the north nave, represents ‘St Cecilia’, feast day 22nd November. One is told that she had a sweet singing voice and played virtually all kinds of instruments and is frequently represented as playing on the organ or harp. Sometimes in art she is represented with flowers, a palm, a sword, an almond branch and a sprig of flowers. St Cecilia is the patroness of church music.
The font is not decorative, it is very plain and simple, is of the period of the great restoration, and was given to the Church by Mr Elias Collas.
In 1546 the Royal Court authorised the sale of some wheat rentes belonging to the Tresor to pay for the enlargement of the Church by constructing this nave, thus the Church attained its present shape and size (see the outside stonework). The west end of the nave had a curiously broad door, constructed this shape without doubt to admit the Parish cannon, which was kept in this nave from Elizabethan to Victorian times. No doubt this was the principal reason for the Royal Court ordering the sale of the wheat rentes, so that this section could be used for military purposes.
Note the openings on each side of the walls above the windows and arches. These openings were to accommodate the wood beams on which the floor boards for the loft would be fixed to. This loft was then used to accommodate all the materials pertaining to the Militia.
The records tell us that at the east end of the nave there was one pew reserved for the Honorary Police. However, it is almost certain that there were possibly a few other pews for the general public.
The stained glass window was erected in memory of Elizabeth Valpy, widow of James Le Couteur, died 1st March 1918, by Clara Valpy, her sister. The window which is in two parts, was also designed by Bosdet. One section depicts ‘Christ the Light of the World’. The second section depicts ‘Jesus the Good Shepherd’ sometimes referred to by some as ‘Jesus Finds the Lost Sheep’.
Two stone altar slabs were discovered during the great restoration of the Church in 1890. No trace of them was found until in 1964 the then Rector discovered a piece of stone altar, which bears a consecration cross, hidden in the recess of the south-west buttress near the west door. It can safely be assumed that the two old altars were cut up and used in the re-construction of the walls and buttress.
Some crudely carved stones, taken probably from parts of the old Church now demolished, are built in the buttresses of the chancel, mainly in the south-east corner. Some of these stones bear celtic crosses of various designs, and are of 7th century origin. At least one bears a comic face, again reminding us of the days when humour was the ally of religion. Also, one can see at high level on the south-east end of the chancel wall the memorial stone to Laurens Hamptonne and his son. This stone attracts the attention of everyone who approaches the Church. The translation of the Latin inscription reads: ‘Hail, passer by! I would have a word with you for a moment. Within this temple lies buried the illustrious man Laurens Hamptonne, who deserved the best from his country, once Vicomte of this Island and Lieutenant Bailiff and Captain of this Parish, now, alas, snatched from us. Born 1609. Unborn 11th Feb., and buried V.F., 1664, and Edouard Hamptonne Junior. If anyone in this Island in his lifetime was polished, it was he. He too was Vicomte and now, alas has been torn from us by an untimely death. Ripe in Heaven, he was taken away 27th Jan, and buried on 29th 1660. Farewell passer by. Live in the light. Remember death and Heaven.’
The old burial stones that were set in the gravel pathway on the south side of the Church were lifted in 2006, for preservation reasons. The larger ones have been stood up against the wall, the smaller ones placed against the wall. However, probably the most famous of these burial stones is the one to De Tréguz, it bears the following inscription. ‘Ci gist ecuyer Nicolas de Tréguz vivant sr dud it lieu Evesche de Nantes en Bretaigne qui deceda le IX jour de Nove 1586 age de 57 ans.’ This stone has caused much controversy through the word ‘evesche’ meaning bishop. It is almost certain that de Tréguz was not the Bishop of Nantes, but the Squire of the Bishopric of Nantes. If de Tréguz was a Catholic Bishop, what was he doing buried in Protestant Jersey?
The Church Cross
No-one is actually sure where the St Lawrence Church cross was situated. It is almost certain that it was on the south side of the Church. This cross must have been made of wood, for had it been of granite, surely some part of it would have survived. However, one is certain that it existed from the following observations. Firstly, the Société Jersiaise Museum has in its archives a Ouyé de Paroisse document for St Lawrence Church, dated the 21st March 1463. This document is for the lease of a house and land from one Nicolas Le Moigne and his wife Jeanette to Colin Le Cornu and Perette, his wife. The contract makes mention that a piece of land is situated along the road that goes north to the Church. The family name of Le Cornu is still current in the Parish and, furthermore, over 540 years later the Church had a Churchwarden by the name of Le Cornu. One should note that this Ouyé de Paroisse was passed during the French occupation of Jersey, 1461-1468.
Secondly, the compiler of this booklet has a document in his possession being an Act of the States concerning ‘Strangers’ which was read in the churchyard on the 3rd July 1796. One must realise that the parish church was the centre of parish life in the early years, and virtually everything revolved around the church. All important judicial acts, property and land transactions, as well as all States Acts etc. were announced each Sunday at L’Ouyé de Paroisse, in the churchyard near the church cross. These transactions would, therefore, be witnessed by the congregation.
The Rectors acted as Notaries and drew up the necessary deeds of contracts. The Ouyé de Paroisse continued till 1842, when a law was passed discontinuing the announcements being made in the Church and churchyard on a Sunday at the time of Divine Service. Furthermore, this law ordered the Connétable to erect a box with a grill at the principal gate of the cemetery where all announcements were to be posted. The notice of a Parish Assembly has to be posted in the box prior to the 8am Sunday Service of the week the meeting is to be held. The St Lawrence Notice Box is on the right hand side of the north gate, in the cemetery wall.
The Lynch Gate
This beautiful lych gate was erected in 1910 by Elias Collas in memory of his wife, Jennet Susannah Balleine. Elias Collas and Jennet Balleine were married at St Lawrence Church on 25th April 1870. It is said that some of the granite used in the construction of the lych gate came from part of an old property that existed on the site of the house now known as Petit Menage, Route de l’Eglise.
The lych gate of a church served some two or three purposes. Firstly, for protection from the weather for coffin bearers as they arrived at the church and waited for the clergy for the commencement of the burial service; also, where the bearers could place the coffin for a short rest, or a changeover of the bearer party. Perhaps the most important purpose was, as the very poor were conveyed to the church in a parish coffin, and this coffin had to be retained for further parish burials, after the burial service the deceased was transferred from the coffin into a shroud for burial. The word ‘lych’ is the old English word for corpse. Three of the burial stones that were removed from the south gravel pathway in 2006 have been placed against the east wall of this lych gate for preservation.
Burial Area North of Church
In 1980, La Société Jersiaise, with the permission of the Rector and Churchwardens, undertook an archaeological dig in the pathway on the north-west side of the Church, close to the Church wall. This area was chosen as it was generally accepted that this was an area traditionally reserved for the burial of paupers.
This archaeological dig, amongst other findings, uncovered a long-cist grave, i.e. a more or less rectangular chest built of stones. Cist graves of this type have been found in parts of Normandy. This cist grave contained the skeleton of a woman aged about 50, lying with her head to the west. A basal portion of a gritted ware pot was discovered in a position close to the head. The pot would suggest the continuation of a pagan practice of providing sustenance for the afterworld or the journey to it. However, this would be surprising in consecrated ground and possibly a more likely purpose is postulated.
Departing from the Church through the west gate, turning right, a narrow opening to the north side of the back wall of the house ‘Abbeygate’, marks the commencement of the Perquage (ancient sanctuary path) route. This is the pathway along which a criminal, after taking refuge before the altar of the Parish Church, could escape in safety to the sea, where a boat would take him or her away from the Island, never to return. However, from recent research, it is almost certain that this particular pathway was possibly just a chemin de corps (funeral path) or general short cut through the countryside to the Parish Church. One must confess that this would make sense, as a Perquage would have surely followed the shortest distance to the sea..
However, we do know that a sanctuary path existed as, from old records for St Lawrence in 1309, jurors advised that one Gregory de la Vergée had fled to the Church for stealing, but he then gave himself up and was sent to England. Again for St Lawrence, in the same year, we know that not all those who claimed sanctuary at the Church left the Island. A sad and unsolved crime in 1309 – the body of a nine year old boy Robert Desnée, who had been murdered, was placed in the mill stream alongside the sanctuary path between St Peter and St Lawrence, and left as if drowned. Raulina, the wife of Nicolas Desnée was suspected of the deed. Having placed guards around the churchyard to stop them gaining access to the Church, the Viscount continued with the search to find the Desnées. However, it appears that Nicolas and Raulina somehow entered the Church with no hindrance from the guards, where they remained for more than fifteen days. The couple eventually surrendered, but on being found not guilty of the crime were discharged.
We know that a sanctuary path existed for St Lawrence. However, this now leaves one with the mystery of tracing the actual route of the pathway from the Church to the sea. The use of sanctuary paths was abolished after the Reformation, then later fell to the Crown as wastes, and were eventually granted by Charles II to Sir Edward De Carteret, who for a yearly rent, parcelled them out, or sold them to those who had lands bordering them.
This short history and guide of the Parish Church of St Lawrence may well be concluded by quoting the Rev. GR Balleine, Jersey’s historian ‘St Lawrence has been called the Cathedral of Jersey’ certainly, architecturally, it is the finest of our Churches.
Note regarding Restoration 1997 TO 2007 (AJB)
Throughout this booklet there is reference to ‘the great restoration’ which took place from 1889 to 1902. However, another ‘great restoration’ has taken place during the years from 1997 to 2007. The building was suffering greatly from damp which had become trapped within the walls – the cement interior rendering and outside pointing were not allowing the granite building to breath and it was essential that something be done to rectify this before too much damage occurred.
Architectural and archaeological surveys were carried out and it was recommended that the cement rendering inside the building which had been done in the 1970s should be completely removed and replaced with lime mortar, and that the whole of the outside should be re-pointed with lime mortar in place of the cement mortar.
A phased programme of works was arranged so that the Church could remain open throughout and, after approval being obtained from the Parish and Ecclesiastical Court and Planning Department, work was begun. During the course of the stripping out, it was found that the roofs, with the exception of the tower roof, would also need to be replaced. During the previous great restoration tiles had been cemented into place and, over the years, movement and wear and tear had caused cracks in the cement base. Rather than chip out all the old tiles a new roof was built over the existing ones above the north and south naves. Because of the shaping of the roof over the Hamptonne Chapel and the chancel, however, the old tiles had to be removed as it was not possible to build a new roof over the top. The tiles used were specially imported to match the previous ones as far as possible and to complement the granite of the building.
During the work it was decided to leave the beam holes exposed in the north nave and the important painting to the east of the pulpit was discovered, conserved and covered in glass as mentioned elsewhere. It was also decided to leave exposed the small doorway and niche above the arch at the east of the south nave.
The cost of the new roofs, all the outside repointing and part of the inside re-plastering work was paid out of Parish Rate but approximately one-third of the total cost was raised by the congregation through various grants, appeals and events.
The final part of this restoration work – the new vestry – was, as stated elsewhere completed early in 2007.
As a footnote, on the outside of the Church a granite path has been built from the north door to the north gate and, internally, the west wall re-plastering caused some problems and has had to be re-stripped in 2011. It is necessary to leave it to dry out thoroughly for approximately 18 months before re-plastering for, it is hoped, the final time.
Other recent events have been that In October 2009 the St Lawrence Militia Colours were returned to the Church and are once again displayed there. Also, during 2010, local artist, Karen Blampied, produced icons of each of the 12 Parish patron saints. It was decided to purchase the one depicting St Lawrence and it is planned to place it on display in the near future.